In keeping with the Department of Tourism’s ongoing goal to establish the Philippines as a center of gastronomy in Asia, it is hosting the 3rd Madrid Fusión Manila on April 6-8, 2017 at the SMX Convention Center. In addition to promoting tourism, the event aims to create an awareness and demand for various agricultural and food products/ingredients, and catalyze trade and business partnerships in tourism and gastronomy.
With Filipino cuisine cited as one of top food trends in 2017 by publications like New York Times and Bloomberg, Madrid Fusión Manila is poised to once again draw the world’s top chefs and food enthusiasts. This year’s theme, “Towards a Sustainable Gastronomic Planet,” will explore how to transform gastronomy while respecting environmental limits and enhancing cultural traditions.
The event will have three main components:
(1) International Gastronomy Congress
(2) Fusión Manila International Gastronomy Expo
(3) the month-long Flavors of the Philippines calendar of events
The International Gastronomy Congress will be a platform for innovation to discuss the future of food. Speakers include some of the world’s best chefs like:
- Paco Pérez of the 2 Michelin Star restaurants Miramar and Enoteca (both in Spain) and 1 Michelin Star restaurant 5-Cinco (Germany)
- Jordi Roca & Alejandra Rivas of the 3 Michelin Star restaurant El Celler de Can Roca, No. 2 World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2016 (Spain)
- Régis Marcon of the 3 Michelin Star restaurant Régis and Jacques Marcon (France) 2
- Pedro Subijana of the 3 Michelin Stars and 4 Repsol Suns restaurant Akelarre (Spain)
- Gert de Mangeleer of the 3 Michelin Star restaurant Hertog Jan (Belgium)
- Simon Rogan of the 3 Michelin Star restaurant L’Enclume and 1 Michelin Star restaurant Fera at Claridge’s (United Kingdom)
- Akrame Benallal of Akrame, 2 Michelin Star restaurant (France) and 1 Michelin Star restaurant (Hong Kong)
- Magnus Ek of the 2 Michelin Star restaurant Oaxen Krog & Slip (Sweden)
- Julien Royer of the 2 Michelin Star restaurant Odette (Singapore)
- Kamilla Seidler & Michelangelo Cestari of the 1 Michelin Star restaurant Gustu (Bolivia)
- Rodrigo de la Calle of the 1 Michelin Star restaurant El Invernadero (Spain)
- Tatiana & Katia Levha of La Servan restaurant (France), included in the Condé Nast Traveler’s 10 Young Chefs to Watch in 2016
- Sally Camacho Mueller, runner up in the second season of Top Chef, Just Desserts (USA)
- Jordy Navarra of Toyo Eatery restaurant (Philippines)
- Robby Goco of Green Pastures restaurant and Filipino pioneer in slow food movement and sustainable dining experience (Philippines)
- Gene Gonzalez of Café Ysabel restaurant, the only Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awardee in culinary arts (Philippines)
The Fusión Manila International Gastronomy Expo will showcase gourmet food and beverage products, ingredients, technologies, creative tableware, destination and lifestyle settings, and services. In keeping with the theme, the expo will also feature culinary tourism. B2B meetings will be arranged for interested expo exhibitors.
Celebrated annually in Madrid since 2003, Madrid Fusión is considered one of the leading gastronomy gatherings in the world.